Saturday, October 6, 2012
Vintage Shopping Tips & Why I'm A Moron
Nothing is more fun than rummaging through old crap lol. I went to a local thrift store today and had so much fun browsing through old clothes, shoes, purses, and nick nacks( I don't know if I spelled that right, but you know what I mean). I love to wonder who owned these things, and how they felt about them. I'm just gonna give you all a few of my favorite tips for getting the most out of this fun experience.
1. Dress for the weather. I wore a light outfit (It's still hot where I live). Most of these places don't have air conditioning and are usually dusty, stuffy and crowded. If your not comfortable you won't have the patience to hunt out the treasures. I was getting heat stroke when I was surrounded by the sweaters.
2. Go when you have plenty of time to meander. These places are often disorganized. You'll need plenty of time to dig through all the racks of stuff. You're gonna have to sift through a lot of trash before you find your treasure. Besides sifting is part of the fun.
3. Call before you go to find out a few things like what payment methods they take, and if they have a dressing room. There is nothing worst than finding something awesome that you can't pay for cause they don't take credit.
4. Use your imagination I saw a shirt that was a terrible shape, but the pattern was really cute. If you're handy with sewing you could deconstruct it, and use it for something else.
5. Look for classic well made pieces like denim jackets, blazers, crisp white button downs, cute clutches, and accessories. You will wear them forever, and get them for a steal.
6. Most of these places don't have an exchange or refund policy. If you're unsure about a purchase keep this in mind. Most stores post huge signs, but if you're unsure just ask.
7. Haggle ! (Unless they have a sign that says no haggling) Take a chance, there's nothing to loose. All they can do is say no. Besides think of the adrenalin rush you'll get from scoring that sweet deal.
Now for the moron part. I saw so many cute things that would have totally spiced up this blog but I forgot my freakin camera lol. I was so mad. I promise if I go back I will take some pics for you guys. I did get a cute purse for myself :) I will show it off in an upcoming haul.